What Steps to Take If You Are Involved in a Car Accident

by | Dec 14, 2021 | Personal Injury

Most of us have either been in a car accident or know someone who has. Whether you are involved in a small fender bender or a very serious crash, here are a few steps that will help you navigate the process of what to do after the crash.

1. Call 911

If you are involved in a serious accident, dial 911 immediately so that the police and paramedics will be dispatched to your location. Whether or not you think you caused the accident, do not admit fault at the scene. Let the police investigate and produce their report. If you are able, they will most likely ask you to describe the events leading up to the collision. Be honest, but don’t take responsibility for the whole thing.

2. Exchange Contact and Insurance Information with the Other Driver

If you or the other driver are injured and/or your vehicles are damaged, you will need this information in order to file your claims and potentially a lawsuit if it comes to that.

3. Get Treated for Your Injuries

If you are not seriously injured at the time of the accident, you may not present with injuries until a few days later. Whether it is immediate or not, do not mess around with your health. Go to a doctor as soon as possible who can treat you for any injuries you may have sustained, and document them in your medical records.

4. Document Everything

Keep every single item you receive that pertains to the accident including, but not limited to: medical bills, mechanic’s bills, correspondence or bills from your insurance company, police reports, and correspondence with the other driver. In the event that you need to file a lawsuit, all of these items will be helpful to prove the damages you have incurred in the case.

5. File a Claim with Your Insurance Company

If there is damage to your vehicle, file a claim with your insurance company as soon as possible. You will most likely need to provide a copy of the police report as well.

6. Hire An Attorney

If you are seriously injured, you may need an attorney to help you recover your damages. Even if you are not, insurance companies are notorious for denying claims, so contact us at Hurt Stolz, PC. We can evaluate your case, ensure the protection of your rights, and potentially file a lawsuit on your behalf.